Brisbane 18 Footers Sailing Club
The Brisbane 18 Footer�s Sailing Club was officially formed in 1921, and apart from the war years, 18 footer racing has been conducted from the Club ever since. However, 18′s had been racing on the Brisbane River since the 1800′s, with the first Australian Title held on the River in 1845. Between then and 1958, Queensland boats won 23 Australian titles.
The 18′s Club has a long history of class development, with almost all of the controversial design breakthroughs, from the beamy skiffs of the late 1900′s to the six foot beamed and three handed skiffs being developed in Brisbane River boat sheds.
The Clubhouse was situated on the banks of the Brisbane River at Bulimba, directly opposite Kingsford Smith Drive, Hamilton until 2008 and now races on Waterloo Bay, using the Darling Point Sailing Squadron as its racing base for the 18ft skiffs, and the Brisbane Sailing Squadron on Bulimba Point for the Historical Skiff classes and junior sailing.