South Coast Corinthian Yacht Club
In 1932 a hearty group of people sharing yachting and social interest founded the South Coast Corinthian Yacht Club. They launched their handmade boats over the sands of Santa Monica Beach and had their membership meetings in ocean-front cabins. The facilities were minimal, the enthusiasm, great. A few years later the club obtained a small meeting room located on the Santa Monica Pier. The popular boats of the day were Snipes and Six Meters. These were launched by crane at the end of the pier. By the late 1930's, SCCYC had joined the Southern California Yachting Association and sponsored the first Pacific Coast Championship Regatta in Santa Monica Bay. In 1961 SCCYC assisted in establishing the Association of Santa Monica Bay Yacht Clubs to promote and coordinate yachting activities in the bay area.The South Coast Corinthian Yacht Club Burgee eventually found a permanent berth in the new sheltered waters of Marina del Rey. In 1966 the Board of Directors commissioned the construction of SCCYC's first club house on Mindanao Way. The club had become a part of the thriving marina environment. Over the past few years, SCCYC experienced several changes, but the club has since moved back to its original facility overlooking "G" basin.